Our vision for the future – Living in Harmony with Nature & Each Other
Mālama Honua 🌎 in Hawaiian means to protect everything that makes up our world: land, oceans, living beings, our cultures, and our communities.
Strawai'i was founded on the principle of preserving the ancient indigenous knowledge of our ecosystems – utilizing the wisdom of native Hawaiians and their Ahupua`a system. It is a basic self-sustaining social-ecological system, extending elements of Hawaiian spirituality into the natural landscape. It encompasses living in and working with natural ecosystems sustainably.
WIN-WIN & WIN
WIN #1 - Restoring Hawai'i's native forests & Preserving Hawai’i 🌺 beautiful for EVERYONE
- Funding organizations saving Hawaiian birds and animals on the IUCN’s Red List of Endangered species e.g. sea turtles, monk seals, native sea birds
- Eliminating invasive species (strawberry guava, ginger, bamboo, etc.) that have been overwhelming native species
- Reforest our damaged ecosystems, and replant native Hawaiian flora
WIN #2: Creating jobs, where generations of islanders don’t have to leave their 👨👩👧👦 'ohana (families) to find work
- Create local jobs & start a new agricultural economy for Hawai'i
- Keep jobs in America and to generate income for our islands and Hawaiian subsistence fishing villagers. Since the beginning of our project in 2019, Strawai'i's artisans & artists hourly start rate has always been $15, which is the same as Amazon & Wholefoods’ pay rate. Each handcrafted straw takes ~10 minutes to be created and made perfectly smooth.
WIN #3: Eliminate plastic pollution
Reduce plastic straws that are filling up our landfills and polluting our oceans. We are leveraging the plastic straw bans and using invasive bamboo straws to educate the public about our ecosystems.
We can't change the world, but we can change how we do business.
Unlike profit-driven businesses, we are MISSION-DRIVEN – we care about DOING THE RIGHT THING NOW! We put our emphasis on ALWAYS preserving our ecosystems – the paradise that we're BORROWING from OUR NEXT GENERATIONS.
Made-in-the-US products cannot compete with made-in-China goods on pricing, however, we're proud that our straws are organic and 100% chemical-free, with no bleach, and no formaldehyde.